Hopefully you can get on top of the coughs before they turn into more serious things, like pneumonia. But if your lungs are the weak point of your system and you get hit here a lot, then you probably deal with this a lot.
First things to do for lung conditions:
If you are coughing up mucus and it is settling in your lungs you need to cut out the dairy. Cheese, yogurt, cow’s milk, cottage cheese, sour cream, this is because dairy creates more mucus and that means more for you to cough up.
Mucus is simply dead virus or bacteria and dead white blood cells
You do not want this to settle in your lungs, so if you have a cough it is GOOD to cough it all up and blow it all out of your nose. For kids, if they have a cough I always treat the lungs as well, so that it does not settle and move down into their lungs. This would cause a more serious problem.
You can check out these other posts for more specific areas of concern:
For the Lung and Pneumonia Protocol you want to treat the lungs directly
- Eucalyptus Oil This is amazing for the lungs. Rub on during the day and especially at night to keep infection out. If you already have pneumonia, boil water and then take it off the fire. Drop in 10 drops of Eucalyptus and 10 of Breathe oil, then put a towel over your head while you breathe in the steam. The steam will carry the oils into the lungs and stop the infection.
- Breathe Oil This also has drops to clear sinus and lungs and also comes in an easy Breathe stick to rub on lungs. Use as often as you need to open airways and get enough oxygen.
Diffuse Eucalyptus, Breathe, OnGuard oils at night by bed or in a humidifier
Getting a diffuser is going to be key. Add eucalyptus, cardamon, breathe blend and keep those going during the day and night. You will also rub these oils directly on the lungs.
Another great direct treatment is a nebulizer. Most insurance cover these or you can order one. Instead of adding the medication you can add a couple drops of the oils and the Ionic Silver.
You can also boil a pot of water, then remove from the heat and bring to the counter. Next, add in several drops of the oils and put your head over the steam with a towel over your head and breath in the steam. The steam delivers the oils and breaks up the congestion. I would do this morning and night.
- Arise Ionic Silver Spray in mouth as you inhale, several times a day. This will act like a natural antibiotic and will kill the infection if you can inhale it and get it right in the lungs. Can take 1 tsp a day as well.
- Echinacea and Goldenseal Echinacea helps power the immune system and Goldenseal is for the sinuses, and to fight mucus. Take 2 capsules 3 times a day.
- Aroma Inhaler This is another way you can directly treat the lungs. You put the oils on the wick and inhale through it to get the oils into the lungs. Its easy for kids and adults. No chemicals or drugs. This will heal and strengthen the lungs. If you have pneumonia already, do this several times a day in between inhaling the Ionic silver. They say nasal, but you can use them to get the oil into your lungs the same way.
- Vitamin C Give your immune system 1000 mg of Vitamin C every day. You can not over dose. *You know when your system has had enough Vitamin C if your stools get runny. For kids and babies I do a chewable, and for adults there is a capsule form. Save those chewables for babies and kids! Do not get a Vitamin C made from ascorbate or ascorbic acid, this is derived from corn syrup. For more information you can see the post Natural Vitamin C.
- Elderberry Syrup Is very good for the immune system and will kill viral or bacterial illnesses. For adults, take more or make elderberry tea. Kids need 1 tsp a day at least.
- Lung Tonic this is an herbal tincture. It will promote coughing and help clear airways. This will also build your immune system.
To strengthen the lungs with herbal tea
Use these herbs to make tea every day, this will build your lung tissue so that you can take a proactive stance and not get hit here anymore. I get all my herbs at Mountain Rose Herbs. They are organic and sourced well, you can buy in the amounts that you want. For 1 Cup of tea, steep 1/4 tsp of each herb: