I love love salsa! It was a staple in my home growing up. It is great to clean out stuffy sinuses and that fresh garlic will kill anything you got going on. Plus that fresh cilantro detoxes you from heavy metals. Nothing is wrong with salsa right?! I love eating this on a cleanse because it gives you another flavor and something else to work with. Nothing is better than fresh homemade salsa.
So I like mine savory with lots of flavor. I add a lot of fresh onion (also good to kill any virus you got going on) and lots of cilantro and vinegar. You can adjust it to how you like. I do add 1 jalapeno pepper, you can add 2 if you want or none at all. This is all about preference, so change it to how you like it. TIP: I have found out that no pepper is the same, you can cut off the top and touch it to your tongue and see how much of a kick it has. Sometimes I have only added HALF of one and it has been spicier than when I have added 2 whole ones.
Fresh Homemade Salsa
This makes me over just a quart jar, so find someone to share it with! This is what you need:
- A 24 oz can whole tomatoes. The brand does matter! I use Hunts or an organic brand but do not use the cheap ones because the taste it very different. Even better use fresh tomatoes you have canned. You can also used diced and it will be fine.
- 1 white onion, if you only have yellow you can use it but I like the white for salsa.
- Throw half the tomatoes and the onion in the blender or food processor and pulse so that the onion stays chunky. Then pour this our into your jar.
- Next add the rest of your tomatoes and 1 jalapeno, 2 cloves fresh garlic, 1 tsp season salt, 1 Tbsp Real Salt or sea salt, 1 Tbsp white vinegar and 1 whole bunch of cilantro. I rinse and “scrape” off the cilantro leaves with a fork. You can totally throw in stems as well, it would just have more to chew.
- Blend this batch well so that the jalapeno and garlic get blended. Then you can add your other batch with the chunky onion back into the blender and give it a pulse to mix it all up together.
All DONE! Pour it into your jar and store in the fridge for up to a week. Mine never lasts that long because I eat it by the spoonful! Ok Ok not all of it, chips are a good friend and I have recipes planed for it. There you are so get your salsa on!