There are so many recipes out there to make your own toothpaste. You are simply going for a natural non toxic one that does not contain the fluoride. Here I will give you all your options and you can choose which one fits you best, if it’s not worth you time to make any yourself and experiment, you can just purchase natural toothpaste. And YES they all naturally whiten your teeth!
If you are wanting to regrow enamel here is another option as well: Forget Fillings
Option 1: Healing Enamel and Cavities
Black Charcoal Non Toxic Toothpaste
Do not freak out, this is not the charcoal you are thinking of from a fire. What we are using is called activated charcoal, it is made from coconuts and is edible. Charcoal has many uses and that is a separate post. But it does whiten teeth and heal them, so it is your key ingredient.
- 1/2 Tablespoon Coconut Oil- softened
- 1/2 tsp Ionic Silver (preserves)
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Activated Charcoal
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tablespoon Bentonite Clay
- 1 capsule Calcium Powder
- 1 dropper of liquid Stevia
- 6 drops Peppermint essential oil
- 2 drops Spearmint essential oil
- 2 drops Clove essential oil
In a small glass mason jar soften the coconut oil and then add the rest of the ingredients in order. Give it a stir and then put the lid on!
You can also just use the Activated charcoal powder by itself if that is easier. The recipe above makes it into a paste form like you are used to. The stevia sweetens it and the oils give it a mint gum (literally) taste, so yummy. If you prefer a spice flavor switch out the oils to 6 drops of Cinnamon, 3 drops wild orange, and 2 clove.
TIP do not wet your toothbrush before you add the paste, simply scoop and brush.
Option 2: Baking Soda Non Toxic Toothpaste
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt (optional – direct application of the minerals in sea salt is great for teeth, but can be left out if the taste is too salty)
- 10-15 drops peppermint essential oil-or add your favorite flavor – spearmint, orange, cinnamon, wintergreen etc. Add 2 drops at a time and stir if you change oil, spearmint is very sweet and strong. Add till it is the way you like it.
- Filtered water add tiny bits at a time till you reach your desired consistency
Store in glass container.
Option 3: Purchase Toothpaste Done For You
We have used this one for 3 years and LOVE it. My kids love it and it naturally whitens, tastes great and is good for sensitive teeth. No chemicals or toxins and made with all natural ingredients. With the essential oils they use it also keeps away sickness and heals gums and teeth and sweetened naturally, of course.
On Guard Toothpaste
doTERRA’s fluoride-free Natural Whitening Toothpaste combines the protective benefits of the proprietary doTERRA On Guard blend of CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® essential oils with other natural ingredients that help clean teeth, reduce plaque, and whiten teeth with gentle polishing agents. The doTERRA On Guard blend of Wild Orange, Clove, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, and Rosemary essential oils provides an extra cleaning boost. Additional essential oils of Peppermint and Wintergreen, and the natural sweetener xylitol, give doTERRA On Guard Natural Whitening Toothpaste a refreshingly unique cinnamon-mint flavor that leaves your breath—and toothbrush—fresh and clean throughout the day.