There are many toxins and chemicals in your shaving creams—and not just men’s shaving cream but women’s too.
Here’s a list some chemicals and toxins to watch out for:
- Phthalates. These can disrupt the functioning of hormones. Traces of phthalates found in human urine are associated with obesity and insulin resistance in men because phthalates inhibit testosterone function.
- Synthetic fragrances. These have cancer causing agents. There are other ways to make things smell awesome using natural products.
- Triethanolamine. It’s a skin and respiratory toxicant, made when you take two known toxins and create a reaction between them. What’s more, animal studies have also shown that it can cause bladder and liver cancer, as well as cell mutations in testicles.
- Some of the worst chemicals in not just shaving cream but most beauty products are parabens. They prevent mold, fungus, and parasites from sprouting and growing in your products. However, parabens can be absorbed through the skin, and can increase the risk of breast cancer in women (parabens have often been found in breast cancer tumors). Here are some you might see on your ingredient list:
- methylparaben (most common)
So make your own or buy a natural brand with natural ingredients made from the earth! Check out this recipe on the DIY Recipe page to make it yourself—Lathering Shaving Bar. Made from organic Shea butter, almond oil, and lots of other yummy butters, it is great for your skin and leaves it SO smooth and soft! No toxins needed! This shaving bar has a thick, creamy, foaming lather so it is great for men’s faces and women’s legs alike. Switch to a natural shaving cream product and your skin will thank you in 10 years.