These are so yummy!
My mother used to makes us patties form tuna fish, and they were good, but man the quinoa makes it- and vegetarian as well.
One thing you can do with your quinoa is cook it in broth instead of water to give it more flavor, either a chicken broth or a vegetable one. Be careful what bullion you are using. Most contain MSG, I use the Better Than Bullion brand- see below. Its super easy to add a small spoonful to whatever I am making. Some Costco’s carry it and they also carry quinoa for the best price.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water or broth
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tsp Garlic Seasoning (my favorite I add to everything- see below)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup finely crushed Ritz crackers or bread crumbs or ¼ Cup flour alternative
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 1 can tuna fish or salmon (to add meat)
- Boil the broth in a pot and add the quinoa, then cover and turn on low till soft.
- Combine the quinoa, eggs, salt and pepper and garlic blend in a medium bowl.
- Stir in the parsley, cheese (if using) and garlic, and tuna/salmon (if using, drained).
- Add the cracker, bread crumbs or flour.
- Stir the mixture until combined. (If the mixture seems overly wet, add a tablespoon or two more of cracker, bread crumbs or flour).
- Let it stand for about five minutes so the liquid can be somewhat absorbed.
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat the tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until it is hot.
- Take small handfuls of the mixture and form into little patties, about 1-inch thick, yielding about 11 or 12 patties.
- Add a single layer of patties and cook until the bottoms are well-browned, about 5-7 minutes, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent burning.
- Flip the patties and cook about 5 minutes more until the second side is golden brown.
- Remove from the skillet and repeat with the remaining patties (adding a bit more olive oil, if needed).
- Serve warm or at room temperature.