There are many companies making natural non toxic makeup, but if you want to take a shot at making this yourself, here is a recipe for you. You are going to have to play around a bit with the color to match and suit your skin tone but here is what you will need.
- 2 tablespoons zinc oxide (Can use arrowroot powder instead if desired, but it will not offer quite as much coverage)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon gold mica dust
- 1/2 – 1 tsp of desired natural clay powder (optional) I used a pinch of White cosmetic clay, Fuller’s Earth Clay and french green clay
- up to 1 teaspoon finely ground cocoa powder OR bonze mica powder (or both) to get desired color
- Optional: 1 teaspoon of translucent mica powder can help for really oily skin
Mix all ingredients until you have the desired color and coverage.
Why these ingredients?
Zinc oxide will give coverage and matte finish. Colored mica powders, natural clays and cocoa powder will give color. Start slowly and add as needed, testing on inner-arm as you go to find your shade.
Store in a small glass jar with a lid
Options: If you prefer, just arrowroot powder (or white cosmetic clay), cocoa powder, and (optional) cinnamon powder can be used. This will create a great and completely natural/edible foundation but it will not stay as long as a powder containing zinc oxide and mica. I personally feel safe using zinc oxide on my skin (non nano and uncoated) but if you don’t, just stick to the arrowroot version. Original recipe here.
To make the switch and cut toxins out of your life in other areas, see the Make The Switch Page.
To get some tips and advice on applying makeup, here is a great website with a great step by step for a natural look: Creating a Natural Everyday Makeup Look