The first thing I remember collecting when I was little was rocks. I have always been fascinated by them and loved to find all the uniqueness in each one. When ever we went camping or on any walks, you would always see my head down looking at my feet, and looking for cool rocks. Then as I got older I found the gem and crystal stores and everything changed. I have always had a collection even though I knew nothing specifically about them. I knew I just loved looking at them and having them around. Then I found out that crystals and precious stones have energy, and they carry specific talents that are unique to each one!
A whole new world of possibilities opened up
Crystals are just another option the world, God, and the universe has put on this earth to bring balancing and healing to our lives! They are simply another thing you can add and use in your life. Just like all plants, they have a “life force” -like anything else that has been created in this world. Crystals have a light and life within them and a purpose to fulfill. Brilliant minds have known this for a long time, yet, there are still many who have never heard of them or understand how these crystal might bless their life. There is no accident to anything created.
“In crystal we have a pure evidence of the existence of a formative life principle, and although in spite of everything we cannot understand the life of crystals – it is still a living being.” (Nikola Tesla, 1900)
There is a great introduction article written at Collective Evolution, called Crystals For Beginners! Here Are The Top 10 Essential Crystals & Their Uses. This excerpt is from their article:
A history and background of crystals
Crystal use dates back to at least 6,000 years ago to the Sumerians of Mesopotamia, and many ancient civilizations — the Romans, Egyptians, Greeks, and Japanese, to name a few — used crystals to promote healing, enlightenment, and fulfillment. Crystals have long since been believed to have metaphysical properties and to enhance psychic abilities.
Crystals are considered by many to be one of the building blocks of life, as they are made from two of the most common elements in the Earth, silicon and oxygen. Silicon conducts electricity very well, making them a valuable resource in the tech industry. The quartz crystal specifically is one of the most stable crystalline structures in existence, and is widely used in things like transistors, radios, telephones, and many advanced electronic systems, such as microchips.
Uses of crystals and precious stones
“When we bring the crystal into our electromagnetic field, two things occur. The electromagnetic frequencies carried by the stone will vibrate with related frequencies in our own energy field through the physical law of resonance, creating a third larger vibration field. The nervous system is attuned to these shifts in energy and transmits this information to the brain. Here the frequencies stimulate biochemical shifts that affect the physical body and shift brain function to open the client / patient to emotional experiences.” [Simmons & Ahsian 2005:28]
Crystals and stones can be used in energy healing to help draw off negative energy and bring high vibrations to the space. Each stone has its own “talent” or specific purpose. To learn what each stone can do there are several books/manuals with pictures and explanations. You can look up by what you need or look up by the stone to learn about it, here are some good books:
To get the benefit out of the stone you need, you can simply put it in your pocket. This way you keep it on you through out the day. You can also put it in your pillow case and get its benefits at night while you sleep. They are also used in jewelry and used to decorate a room. In any of these ways you are able to get the benefit of the stone. Some people are able to feel the energy rocks put off, or know their story and life. You never know how they are going to benefit your life until you try them.
Certain stones help each personality or zodiac. There are also stones for certain physical health problems or emotional ones. And also specific stones to help balance each chakra or energy center of the body. It all depends on what you are looking for help with. Overall, even if you are not needing a stone for any physical, mental, emotional or spiritual benefit, they are pretty to look at and have around.
Here is a list of 10 basic stones from the Collective Evolution article:
- Amethyst. Lavender or purple in colour, amethyst is fairly easy to find and is one of the most common crystals available. It is an extremely powerful and protective stone with a high vibration. Traditionally, it was used to prevent drunkenness, and can protect against over-indulgence. It can also help you to clear your mind, to focus, and to make decisions.
- Quartz. This crystal is clear and can be found virtually all over the world. Said to be the most powerful healing and energy amplifier on the entire planet, it absorbs, stores, releases, and regulates energy, and is excellent for unblocking energy as well. This stone will work at the specific vibrational frequency of the person who needs healing. It can cleanse and enhance the organs as well as the soul.
- Rose Quartz. Rose quartz is said to be the stone of unconditional love and infinite peace. It is light pink in colour and, like amethyst, is one of the most common stones available and the most widely used. It is believed to attract love, and many people swear by putting it near their bed to attract relationships or enhance their current ones. This is also a great stone for working on self-love and can be excellent for healing and recovering from crisis.
- Black Tourmaline. Black in colour, this stone protects against cell phone radiation and electromagnetic frequencies. It can also protect against negative energies and any spells or ill wishes against you. By connecting with the base chakra, it grounds these energies. This is great to keep on your person, and definitely near your cell phone or computer. And if you live near power lines or cell phone towers, a few larger ones in the corners of your house could be quite beneficial.
- Citrine. Citrine is often yellow, but can also range from a brownish to smoky gray colour at times aswell. Natural citrine, however, is quite rare, and heat treated amethyst is often sold in its place. Natural citrine is created from the heat and pressure of the Earth, however, so there isn’t much difference. This stone carries the energy of the sun and is an amazing cleanser and regenerator. This stone does not need cleansing, and energizes all aspects of life. It is great for chakra alignment and can activate and open the crown chakra.
- Selenite. Selenite is often pure white or slightly clear, but it can also be blue, brown, or green. It is quite easy to find. Selenite is an excellent stone for opening the third eye and crown chakras and can help you to connect to angelic consciousness and higher guidance through meditation. It has been said that each person holding a piece of this pure-vibration stone can enhance their telepathic capabilities.
- Lapis Lazuli. Of a deep blue colour with little flecks of gold throughout, lapis lazuli opens the third eye chakra and balances the throat chakra. It can increase your intuition and other intuitive abilities. This stone is also a protective stone and is a key to spiritual development. It can assist with expressing your opinions but also resolving conflict.
- Turquoise. As the name suggests, this stone is turquoise, of varying shades of blue and green, and it is easily found. Historically, turquoise was believed to change colour to warn of potential infidelity. Now it is known to promote spiritual attunement and enhance communication. Turquoise is great for your mental well-being and dissolves any thoughts of self-hatred or self sabotage.
- Fluorite. This stone can be clear or come in a variety of colours, such as blue, green, purple, yellow, or brown. It is a highly protective stone, especially on a psychic level. It can assist with discernment of outside influences that may be at work against you, and can be extremely effective against harm from your computer or any electromagnetic stress. Fluorite can be especially beneficial when learning something new, as it organizes and processes information and increases concentration.
- Carnelian. This stone is quite common and comes in red, orange, pink, and brown. This stone is most excellent for restoring vitality and motivation. It is a high-energy stone and can also assist with stimulating creativity. Traditionally, it was used to protect the deceased on their journey to the afterlife. It can be useful for overcoming abuse and for learning to trust yourself.
There you have it.
Those are some basic ones. If you are not sure what you need and can not think of anything you need help on, I would go off of what is needed for your zodiac. Take a trip to a gem rock store and pick out what looks the coolest to you, and simply put it in a room where you will see it the most. Stones are definitely a tool we can use to raise our vibration and that of a living space.
I definitely made all my family outings longer by looking for rocks and bringing them home with me, but now I think my spirit knew what it was doing 🙂 and I have passed this lovely trait onto all of my children. Good thing I understand them and am collecting the rocks along side them.